US president says the proposed attack was halted after appeals from key Gulf allies, as negotiations continued between the concerned parties
WASHINGTON:(UrduPoint/UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News-May 19th, 2026) US President Donald Trump said he had considered launching a major military strike on Iran but postponed the plan amid ongoing diplomatic efforts aimed at securing a possible agreement to end the conflict, according to his remarks on Tuesday.
Trump said that the proposed attack was halted after appeals from key Gulf allies, as negotiations continued between the concerned parties. He added that Iran had previously warned of retaliatory action against regional states if the United States and Israel expanded military operations following a ceasefire that has now held for several weeks.
The US president, who has repeatedly signalled his desire to avoid prolonged military engagement, said he had initially authorised preparations for a large-scale operation after Tehran rejected proposed terms for a potential deal.
According to Trump, leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged Washington to delay military action, citing ongoing diplomatic discussions. He wrote on his social media platform that negotiations were “serious” and still underway, prompting the pause in planned strikes.
However, he also cautioned that US forces remained on standby, stating that the military had been instructed to be fully prepared for immediate action if diplomatic efforts fail to produce an acceptable agreement.
Speaking at a White House event later, Trump described recent developments as “positive,” suggesting that regional partners believe a deal may be close that would prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, an allegation Tehran continues to deny.
He added that a peaceful resolution would be preferable, stating that avoiding further escalation would be his preferred outcome.
Iranian officials have maintained communication with Washington through mediators, including Pakistan, and have raised concerns over sanctions, frozen assets, and security guarantees. Tehran has demanded the unfreezing of its overseas funds, lifting of long-standing economic restrictions, and compensation related to the ongoing conflict.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said dialogue with the United States should not be interpreted as surrender, stressing that his country would continue to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Reports from Iranian media suggested that Washington had recently presented a set of proposals addressing nuclear limitations and uranium stockpile management, while also indicating possible easing of certain sanctions during negotiations. Iranian sources, however, claimed that key demands regarding asset releases and compensation remained unresolved.

Separately, Iranian authorities have taken steps to strengthen oversight of the strategic Strait of Hormuz, including establishing a new administrative body to monitor activity in the region and regulate maritime operations.
Meanwhile, the United States Treasury extended a temporary sanctions waiver for certain Russian oil shipments already in transit, a move seen as part of broader efforts to stabilise global energy markets amid ongoing geopolitical tensions.
