The Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) soccer team has cancelled a three-day World Cup preparation training camp and a planned farewell to fans in the capital Kinshasa due to the Ebola outbreak in the east of the country.
The World Health Organization declared the Ebola disease outbreak caused by a rare virus in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, with at least 139 suspected deaths and more than 600 suspected cases.
Congo is scheduled to play World Cup warm-up games against Denmark in Liege, Belgium, on June 3 and Chile in southern Spain on June 9. Both matches are going ahead as planned, team spokesman Jerry Kalemo told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

“There were three stages of preparation: in Kinshasa to say goodbye to the public, Belgium and Spain, with two friendly matches against Denmark in Liege and Chile in Spain and the third stage from June 11 in Houston, United States. Only one stage was cancelled — the one in Kinshasa,” Kalemo said.
The Congo players and the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside of the central African country, with most of them playing in France.
Kalemo said that some of the team staff who are based in Congo were “leaving in the next hours” on Wednesday.
A FIFA spokesperson told The New York Times that the organization is “aware of and monitoring the situation regarding an Ebola outbreak and is in close communication with the Congo DR Football Association to ensure that the team are made aware of all medical and security guidance.”
The White House World Cup task force, housed under the Department of Homeland Security, told The Associated Press that it is “coordinating closely” with various agencies on health and security matters and that the government is “closely monitoring” the outbreak.
U.S. government invoked emergency public health rule
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said this week that the U.S. would ban the entry of all foreign nationals who had been in Congo, Uganda and South Sudan within the past three weeks. The ban lasts for 30 days.
“It’s been confined right now to Africa but it’s something that’s had a breakout,” U.S. President Donald Trump said about the Ebola outbreak on Monday while speaking to the press.
Get weekly health news
Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.
A U.S. official told The Associated Press the Congolese World Cup team would not be affected by the CDC entry ban because it had been training in Europe for the past several weeks.

Members of the Congolese World Cup delegation who did return to Congo during the 21-day period will be subject to the same quarantine requirements as U.S. citizens seeking to return from affected countries, according to the U.S. official.
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand has said Canada currently has no plans to implement a travel ban but is closely monitoring the situation.
The Public Health Agency of Canada said it will continue to implement appropriate health protocols should a case be imported to Canada. It will also work with international and domestic partners from provinces and territories to inform their response and protect the health of Canadians.
Ebola disease is a severe, often fatal illness that affects humans and other primates, according to the WHO.
The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals, such as fruit bats, porcupines and non-human primates, including gorillas, monkeys and chimpanzees, and then spreads in the human population through direct contact with blood, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people and with surfaces and materials, such as clothing and bedding, contaminated with the fluids.
The Bundibugyo virus was first detected in Uganda’s Bundibugyo district during a 2007-08 outbreak that infected 149 people and killed 37. The second time was in 2012, in an outbreak in Isiro, Congo, where 57 cases and 29 deaths were reported.
The virus is spread the same way as other Ebola viruses: through close contact with sick or deceased patients’ bodily fluids, such as sweat, blood, feces or vomit. Health-care workers and family members caring for sick patients face the highest risk, experts said.
Dr. Isaac Bogoch, infectious diseases physician, told Global National that the virus is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, which reduces the likelihood of transmission compared to airborne viruses.
“We’ve seen measles imported to Canada and other infectious diseases, but I think the risk of Ebola would be extraordinarily small, but of course not zero per cent,” Bogoch said.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday that there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, and he expects those numbers will keep increasing.
He said he determined that the situation was “not a pandemic emergency, which is the new and highest classification under the amended International Health Regulations.”

